Knitting is very conducive to thought. It is nice to knit a while, put down the needles, write a while, then take up the sock again.
~Dorothy Day

Monday, June 20, 2011

DIY cargo skirt

The endless stockinette of the Daybreak has finally broken me and I had to put it away temporarily.  This gave me time to think about redoing the craft room and finally unpacking my grandmothers sewing machine.  Of course once I was finished, I needed to do something with it.  Enter the DIY cargo skirt...

I took a trip to my local Target and rummaged around the men's department until I spotted the right pair of cargo shorts.

 Then I removed the hem from the bottom, the front inseam from the zipper down and the back inseam from the belt loop down,




 I carefully laid the shorts out and pinned a straight line from the zipper down and the back belt loop down,

 Here is the front after I sewed the seam,
 Then I pinned the hem line back into place,
 And sewed it up.  (My important lesson of the day, don't start the hem line on the front, when you're a noobie seamstress!)
 Voila!!!!  The back, (no, the pockets don't look that jacked up in person)
 And the front!!!!

Honestly, I have never modified a garment like this before, and to actually be wearing it is a huge accomplishment for me!  So if I can do it, you can too!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment